Friday, July 1, 2011

Comfortability

  That's right.  I'm following up a post titled "Uncomfortability" with another post titled "Comfortability."  That's just how I roll.

  For the past couple of weeks my in-laws have been in town.  It's nice to get to hang out with them, even if it's just to watch a TV show or a round of golf.  I liked having them around, and not just because my mother-in-law made my daughter's room look awesome.  I may not have acted like I enjoyed the company a lot at the time, but I did enjoy it.  I know I was probably a jerk sometimes, but it's only because I like routine.  I like having my space and my time, and doing what I want with it.  It's too bad that I live on a planet with people.

  I think that's why I really enjoy showering.  It's really one of the only places where you can truly be alone.  The shower is one of the best places to think and reflect.  And that's usually what I do.

  I challenged myself some time ago to spend that time praying to God and meditating on life.  As I sat in my shower today I realized that I hadn't been doing that lately.  I can't give any reason other than laziness.  I'm pretty sure my thinking was that I had been so "generous" with my space that I unconsciously started hoarding my own time.  I didn't want to spend precious moments doing other things than what I wanted to do, and the first thing to go was my morning time talking to and praising God.  You know what?  I realized that over the past two weeks I've missed a lot of opportunities.  Opportunities to thank Him for great things He's placed in my life.  The form of a tiny foot kicking my hand through my wife's stomach, a father-in-law who is as wise as he is gracious, a house that keeps us cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and the list could go on.

  Our human thinking tells us that comfort is the best place for us to be.  When I look at people in the Bible, none of them accomplished anything by God letting them hang in a posh, non-sacrificing life.  It's sad that sometimes the only way we find how much we love those little things in life is when we have to be in the pit of discomfort.  The more I think about it, even with comfortable people in your life, discomfort is there to make us realize what we have.

  My prayer for you and for me as we head into this weekend is that you take a little bit of time, thank God for not keeping you comfortable (or maybe to make you uncomfortable), and rest in your discomfort.  

No comments:

Post a Comment